Wow, I didn't see that one coming. Isn't getting blindsided the worst? Like when you go in for your annual review expecting to get that well deserved raise and instead you get a pink slip, a box for your crap and a police escort out of the building. How about when you have been hanging at the bar for awhile and that girl at the end of the bar keeps looking over at you and you finally get the courage to stumble on over to her and then you see that she has a bigger Adam's Apple then you do. My favorite blindside though has to be when your favorite team is winning a game that you didn't expect them to win against a team everyone expects to go to the Super Bowl against a quarterback that makes the Emperor from Star Wars look young and you lose.
On Sunday afternoon about 1:05, I sat in silence. If I had a cat, I would have punted it across the room. "Emperor" Favre with two seconds left (that's right two!!!) threw a 32-yard touchdown pass to Greg Lewis. Yes, that Greg Lewis who couldn't get run in Philly. Yes that Greg Lewis who was only in the game because Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin had just ran seven straight go routes and was on life support on the sidelines sucking on oxygen. That Greg Lewis who caught the ball and got his feet in like he was imitating an actual NFL receiver.
I didn't even know that Favre could still throw the ball 15 yards, let alone 32. Then I saw everyone mugging Brett and all I could think was why isn't he still in some Sears deciding on which TV to get. I mean, the guy has retired twenty times over the past three years. He has developed a friendship with the Crypt Keeper from Tales From the Crypt and they are picking out caskets. I mean he shouldn't even be out there and yet he was. I'm not a complete hater. I will say that it was an amazing throw and catch, but it was as if after Lewis got out from being mobbed, he broke off the end of the football to reveal a sharp razor and he reached through the TV, Ala "The Ring", and stabbed me right through the heart.
It may take me awhile to get over this one. I know, I know Niner fans, we are becoming a better team. I know nobody expected us to be 2-1 right now. I know that our defence and running game is getting better and better (oh yea, Frank Gore went down with an ankle injury in the first quarter, but I'm not even going to open that can of worms). None of that matters. When you are not expected to do something and then you are on the verge of doing it and it gets ripped away from you it hurts even more. Well, I guess it's time to go play in traffic!
Comments...love 'em!
No comments:
Post a Comment